ByTheSword
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jay-Z, Young Jeezy Lead Hip-Hop Tributes To Michael Jackson

Go down

Jay-Z, Young Jeezy Lead Hip-Hop Tributes To Michael Jackson Empty Jay-Z, Young Jeezy Lead Hip-Hop Tributes To Michael Jackson

Post  summersun Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:42 pm

The musical tributes continue to pour in for Michael Jackson. In addition to his official memorial ceremony earlier this week — which featured performances from the likes of Mariah Carey, Usher and John Mayer — the hip-hop community also came forward with a few live tributes.

In Chicago on Tuesday night, Jay-Z opened his show with a photo montage of Jackson accompanied by the Jackson 5's "I Want You Back" (which Jigga famously sampled for his 2001 Kanye West-produced Blueprint hit "Izzo (H.O.V.A.)." He then addressed the sold-out crowd: "If you take anything away from this concert, take this tonight. Let's not wait to mourn death — let's celebrate life. It's my theory. I believe that if Michael Jackson had seen love all over the world, he wouldn't be on the other side right now."

Jay wasn't the only rapper saluting Jackson. During his Download Festival set in London, Young Jeezy told the crowd, "I got another homie who's resting in peace right now," before encouraging the audience to sing along to "I Want You Back." His DJ interrupted that to drop in the intro to "Billie Jean" before scratching his way into "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'." "Now that's how you represent, man," he said before launching back into his set.

And in addition to paying tribute to Michael Jackson by changing his jersey number, new Los Angeles Laker and sometimes rapper Ron Artest recorded " Michael Jackson," which premiered on 50 Cent's Web site. The acoustic-guitar-aided track features a chorus of "I cry for Mike," references a handful of Jackson songs and contains the lyric "Only the good die early."

Expect to see more rappers tipping their hats to Jackson in the coming weeks, especially on the mixtape circuit (with 50 Cent and Cookin' Soul already weighing in).

Michael-Jackson-Ultimate-Collection-32-DVD-+-1-CD-Boxset
Star Trek Voyager seasons dvd boxset
NCIS seasons dvd boxset
Cold Case seasons dvd boxset
Ally McBeal seasons dvd boxset
Gilmore Girls seasons dvd boxset
DVDSETSHOP
24 Twenty four Hours Seasons 1-6 DVD
Sex And The City Seasons 1-6 DVD
Smallville Seasons 1-8 DVD

Scrubs Seasons 1-8 DVD Boxset
Star Trek The Next Generation Season 1-7 DVD Boxset