ByTheSword
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TV in the 2000s: The Decade in Whedonism – 10 Small Screen Masterpieces from Joss Whedon

Go down

TV in the 2000s: The Decade in Whedonism – 10 Small Screen Masterpieces from Joss Whedon Empty TV in the 2000s: The Decade in Whedonism – 10 Small Screen Masterpieces from Joss Whedon

Post  Hchristmasday Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:01 am

TV in the 2000s: The Decade in Whedonism – 10 Small Screen Masterpieces from Joss Whedon
TV in the 2000s: The Decade in Whedonism – 10 Small Screen Masterpieces from Joss Whedon Snipshot_e4obnd0j9hg

#3 “Dr. Horrible’s Sing-a-Long Blog.” Mash dvd Season Sometime before the 2005 release of “Serenity,” I found myself at an early screening for fans, signing COLD CASE dvd a birthday card to Joss Whedon. Just above the compulsory, “Happy Birthday” I wrote “Another James Bond dvd box set musical?” Well, it took a writer’s strike and the burgeoning power of Web 2.0, but my timid Disney dvd collection request was answered in high style last year with the blissfully silly and often hilarious, yet ultimately rather Michael Jackson ultimate collection tragic and haunting, web-movie musical about an earnest aspiring House MD dvd supervillain with The Beatles Collection dvds anti-corporate leanings (the multi-talented Neil Patrick Harris). One Tree Hill dvd As he strives to enter the Evil League of Evil by pleasing it’s rarely seen leader Bad Horse las vegas dvd series (”the Thoroughbred of Sin”), defeat his obnoxious superhero nemesis, Captain Hammer (a never-funnier Charmed dvd Nathan Fillion), and win the heart of an adorable activist do-gooder he chats with at the laundromat (’net star/creator Disney dvd box setFelicia Day of “The Guild“), we learn how becoming a full-fledged supervillain may create True Blood dvd season serious problems if you also want people to love you.

A true family project co-created married with children dvd with brothers Zack and Jed (a musician as well as a TV writer), and Jed’s then fiancee/now wife, The L Word dvd Maurissa Tancharoen. Bones Season dvd “Dr. Horrible” has a low-budget comic Star Trek Series dvd book aesthetic that actually underlines its tale of Criminal Minds dvd aspiring artists of crime. Crisply directed by Whedon, it’s songs are some of the funniest and most haunting songs Doctor Who dvds from a new musical you’re likely to hear these days, if a bit less tuneful than the slicker, more Broadway-inspired music Farscape season dvd of “Once More With Feeling.”

A third act plot point, however, Ghost Whisperer dvd takes a chance by daring us to take the premises of the plot to their logical, poignant conclusion Smallville season dvd that some may not appreciate. While it could be argued that the whimsical conceit might have allowed Boston Legal dvd this to be one instance where Whedon didn’t actually need to keep things fictionally real by giving a cruel fate to a CSI Miami Season dvd sympathetic character, the choice provides this brilliant mini-musical with a stronger ending and a far prison break dvd better set-up for the upcoming sequel than a more straightforwardly The Tudors dvd comic conclusion would have. All in all, “Dr. Horrible” Mash dvd Season proves that, even if Audrey Hepburn Collection dvd driven off the airwaves entirely, the Whedon brand at this point has a far better prognosis for a long The Simpsons dvds life than most of his characters.

TV in the 2000s: The Decade in Whedonism – 10 Small Screen Masterpieces from Joss Whedon Ff1-6p3-1024x576

#2. “Our Mrs. Reynolds” (“Firefly dvd”) Buffy The Vampire Slayer dvds — By now, you may be noticing a bit of a trend. Yes, I love “Firefly dvd” NCIS season dvd and I definitely would marry it, if only the courts would legalize man-on-TV show-marriage. IBattlestar Galactica dvd season it’s easily my favorite Whedon show and one of my favorite television shows of all time. Sure, Law and Order dvd some of that has to do with the fact that I just love a good western, but the show truly is special even Warner Bros dvd among Whedon shows. It features the most consistently strong cast of any of any of his shows, Tales from the Crypt dvds and this episode introduces a very special, if then completely unknown, Mad Men Season dvd guest star with the appearance of Christina Hendricks (“buy Mad Men Season dvd”). We first meet the future Joan Holloway as Saffron, an apparently shy, possibly completely Supernatural DVD submissive, member of a colony whom Mal, unaware of local customs, accidentally marries. Written Christmas gifts for kids by Whedon, this Monk dvd season fan-favorite starts out as a feminist-friendly variation on a somewhat disturbing plot thread from “The Searchers,” but Grey's Anatomy dvds eventually becomes something like the perfect TV-length screwball farce, only with more violence. What more could you want?

TV in the 2000s: The Decade in Whedonism – 10 Small Screen Masterpieces from Joss Whedon Jubal-early1
#1. “Objects in Space” (“Firefly dvd”) – Unlike every single other season finale he’s written, the de facto conclusion to “Firefly dvd” resolves South Park dvds very little in the Family Guy dvd season way of ongoing plot elements. Indeed, it appears that fact so frustrated Whedon that it probably largely led to his determination to wrap up the story arc in more suitable fashion with Gossip Girl dvds the movie, “Serenity.” Nevertheless, viewed on its own, this episode is my personal selection for Whedon’s all time 24 dvd season best work ever. It features guest-star Richard Brooks (“Law and Order dvd”), who is letter perfect as Jubal Early, a coolly brutal and mentally unbalanced bounty hunter Scrubs dvd — Whedon’s off-kilter homage to Boba Fett, in fact — sent to Medium DVD recover River Tam (Summer Glau), a psychotic young fugitive who has taken refuge on board Serenity. The episode gradually boils CSI Miami Season dvd down to a highly charged and very strange battle of wits between Early and the schizophrenic-like-a-fox Tam. Supernatural DVD It’s a blend of suspense, psychology, action, and odd pathos that, if you care to look, has some existential Dexter DVD season undercurrents. (Whedon discusses those in some detail in the somewhat unusual DVD commentary How I Met Your Mother season he recorded for the episode.) Still, this tale of outer space cat-and-mouse between two individuals True Blood dvd season whose life experiences has rendered them both less than whole, but more than merely human, is simply Charmed dvd great science fiction entertainment for people who enjoy thinking a little. If there’s one thing I’m bummed about Gilmore Girls dvd season from the cancellation of the show and the box office disappointment of the ensuing movies is Criminal Minds dvd that we may never get to see Jubal Early face off again against the Serenity crew, Law and Order dvd though a guy can always hope. (Note to dubious viewers in light of the ending: yes, Early lives!)

Hchristmasday

Back to top Go down