ByTheSword
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EW's 10 Best TV Shows of the Decade

Go down

EW's 10 Best TV Shows of the Decade Empty EW's 10 Best TV Shows of the Decade

Post  Nancybaby Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:47 am

Over at EW.com, Entertainment Weekly is doing their "best of the decade" shtik, covering the best entertainers, one tree hill dvd box set movies, music, books, etc., of 1999-2009. Of course, me being the TV Nerd, I immediately went to that 70s show 1-8 dvd see what their picks for the ten best TV shows were. Here is EW's list, with my own commentary boston legal dvd box set thrown in:

10. The Comeback (2005) I was never a huge fan friends dvd box set of this Lisa Kudrow comedy on HBO, but I did enjoy it on a social-satire level, the way it poked fun dexter dvd at the idea of celebrity and reality TV shows. Mash dvd box set Kudrow showed a great deal of chops, though, proving definitively that she's capable of much more Golden Girls dvd than flighty Phoebe on Friends.

9. Gilmore Girls (2000-2007) Never saw it.

8. The Shield (2002-2008) I didn't watched this one either, one tree hill dvd box setbut it's been recommended to me by just about everyone I know. Maybe someday, when I have the time, Grey’s anatomy dvd I'll sit down for a Shield marathon.

7. The Office (UK version, 2001-2003) Absolutely brilliant television. disney 100 years of magic dvd box set Ricky Gervais is a genius (I also liked his short-lived HBO series Extras). However, I've said it before and I'll say it again: the US version of the office dvd has surpassed the UK original in my estimation. Half of this is because it's had time to grow and form Cold Case dvd its own identity independent of the seed Gervais planted. And half of this is entirely due to Rainn Wilson's Dwight Schrute, Gilmore Girls dvd a sitcom character so brilliantly conceived and portrayed that I believe he belongs in the annals of history alongside Kramer, House md dvd Mork and Archie Bunker.

6. The Wire (2002-2008) I'm Scrubs dvd box set actually tempted to move The Wire all the way up to the #1 slot. It was that powerful, that well written and acted, Desperate Housewives dvd box set and that iconic. There had never been anything quite like it before, and I doubt we'll ever see anything quite like it again.

5. Arrested Development (2003-2006) The best Criminal Minds dvd box set comedy of the decade, in my opinion. Maybe even the best comedy ever shown on television, Grey’s anatomy dvd box setnot to mention being the series we can thank for introducing Michael Cera to the world. I'm only sorry it didn't catch disney 100 years of magic dvd box set on until after it was canceled and became a DVD phenom. I still can't hear the opening notes of Europe's "The Final Countdown" without thinking Golden Girls dvd set of Will Arnett's Gob.

4. American Idol (2002-present) Never watched it, one tree hill dvd it's just not my thing, but even I can't deny how immensely popular and influential this show is.

3. The Daily Show (1996-present) Absolutely! that 70s show seasons dvd I never miss The Daily Show, even if it means I have to DVR it. Though, to be fair, I didn't actuallyboston legal dvd set start watching it until Jon Stewart took over for Craig Kilborn in 1999.

2. Lost (2004-present) There was a time when friends box set I would have scoffed at the inclusion of Lost on any best-of list--oh, around the time of seasons two and three, dexter dvd set let's say--but now? Now I freaking love this show again, even more than I did when I first saw season one. Mash dvd set I can't wait for this winter's final season!

1. The Sopranos (1999-2007) Oh my goodness, yes. the office dvd set One of the best dramas ever produced, in my opinion, and another series I never missed when it aired. disney 100 years of magic dvd box set Full of rich, complex characterization and emotional depth, this was hardly the TV version of Analyze This that so many, Desperate Housewives dvd set myself included, initially feared it would be. Instead, it gave us a whole new iconography, Golden Girls dvd box set a veritable new cultural mythology. When you said Tony Soprano, everyone knew who you were talking about. Grey’s anatomy dvd box set Even the people who didn't watch the show.

EW's list isn't a bad one, actually (I fully expected it that 70s show dvd set to be chock full of reality show nonsense). As it turns out, I regularly watched and enjoyed seven out of the ten shows they highlighted, and that's not a bad ratio. Still, there are a few omissions friends complete series box set I would add to my own list, shows I'm surprised EW glossed over. Deadwood, Six Feet Under and Dexter Mash complete series dvd spring to mind immediately. I would throw 30 Rock on there too, since I consider it the best TV comedy since Arrested Development, one tree hill dvd set and the new Doctor Who, of course, but you knew I was going to say that.

What about you? Any TV shows you would add to the list?

Nancybaby

Back to top Go down